Skip to main content

Are there any serious consequences of a baby passport in Oman without marriage?


Like most emirates, Oman is home to many expats that move for a better standard of living and job opportunities. Whilst living in the emirates, it is only normal to find love, and in some cases, unmarried women may experience pregnancy outside of wedlock.

Consequently when the child is born; there might be certain consequences when it comes to getting a baby passport in Oman without marriage. Read this article and come out the best alternative of getting the baby passport in Oman.

What consequences do unmarried women bear of getting pregnant out of wedlock in Oman?

Previously, women who got pregnant outside of marriage have been jailed or deported from the country. On the other hand, abortion is illegal in Oman. One is permitted to abort only under exceptional circumstances. This might include if the pregnancy will put the woman’s life in danger, or with the continued development of the pregnancy.

Any person or doctor who assists a pregnant woman in having an abortion with her consent faces a three-year prison sentence. Additionally, the operating licenses will be revoked.

Basic requirements to follow for issuing the baby passport:

This is what the Consulate-General in Oman requires in order to issue a passport to your baby:

  • Passport copy of parents
  • A copy of your baby’s original birth certificate.
  • Request letter from father.
  • For expats, obtain the civil ID Number by applying first at Directorate General of Civil Status.
  • Present both parents’ original passports or identity cards, as well as conformed copies.
  • The guardian’s written approval stating their agreement to the issuance of a passport to his (son, daughter) if the latter is under the age of (18) eighteen. A copy of the father’s ID card will be enclosed.
  • In cases where parents’ passports are not available or where parents have died, the applicant must present a verification of the applicant’s relationship, as well as the original passport of a relative from the father’s side (e.g., brother, uncle, or mother) or the demise certificates, as applicable.

Please note: The requirements for the same are likely to changed based on many factors which could include the nationality, residency and the martial status of the couple

Final Verdict on your baby passport for Oman residents

All the unmarried women, either residents or expats, face many challenges in getting the official documents for their babies. We highly recommend couples who are willing to start a family to get married. You can decide to solemnize the wedding in the beautiful views of Georgia, Seychelles, and UAE.

Online wedding is another option they can take for and make your wedding within your budget. It is best for those couples who live in different countries and cannot travel.

Still confused about your current situation with a baby outside wedlock ? Talk to our team of experts that have helped many such women.

Interesting readings for you

October 28, 2023
Georgia, with its rich history, picturesque landscapes, and breathtaking mountains, has become a popular winter wedding destination for many. Its a…
July 18, 2022
Oman nationals might entertain the idea of legalizing their marriage through a Dubai court marriage. While the idea is interesting, it will also be…
May 25, 2022
Wedding preparation may be a stressful process, and keeping track of the details can be challenging. If you choose a wedding planner, however, you …
A civil wedding in the UAE for Oman expats
Many expats in Oman gladly welcome the idea of a civil wedding in the UAE. A marriage in this country is fast, simple, and easy. But like every other official process, it is important that couples come to the Family court in Abu Dhabi with some required documents when they are ready for their civil […]
Civil wedding Dubai requirements for Oman residents
The family structure is built on the foundation of marriage. Many people prefer to marry in the UAE because it is a safe country with plenty of family-friendly services. If you follow the rules and regulations, getting married here is a breeze. Both nationals and expats are subject to legal criteria and procedures for validating […]
Relevance of the 2022 Marriage Laws in UAE for Oman citizens
Oman is one of the countries that form the Gulf Cooperation Council. Just like the other five member countries, Oman has Islam as the most dominant form of worship. However, other religions are allowed to peacefully co-exist.  The UAE is a highly desirable country for many Oman citizens. It developed a new marriage law that […]
Rate this post